Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Who is eligible to swim for free?
- Children up to and including the age of 16, that live in the Dudley borough can attend free swimming provided they are with a responsible adult aged 18 years of age or above.
- Does the responsible adult need to supervise a child / children in the water?
- All children under the age of eight must be accompanied into the water by a responsible adult aged 18 years of age or above. One adult must accompany no more than two children under the age of eight into the water. Children aged 8 and above do not require a responsible adult to go into the water (unless they are attending a family swim session), however the responsible adult must remain in the centre at all times and be immediately contactable.
- Does the responsible adult who is not swimming but is supervising a child / children have to pay a spectator fee?
- The responsible adult will not be charged a spectator fee. You are welcome to wait in the café and use the free Wi-Fi and purchase food and drink. Unfortunately bringing your own food and drink is not permitted. Please note that the cafe at Crystal leisure centre has closed. The seating area has remained open and vending machines are available.
- If the responsible adult is unable to attend the leisure centre, can I still swim for free?
- No, you will not be eligible to swim for free and therefore must pay the appropriate admission fee.
- Where is free swimming being offered?
- Crystal Leisure Centre (Stourbridge), Duncan Edwards Leisure Centre (Dudley) and Halesowen Leisure Centre during public swimming sessions.
- When does it run from?
- Free swimming is available during Dudley borough school holidays. It will re-commence on Saturday 23 March 2024 and will run until Sunday 7 April 2024 inclusive, at Crystal, Duncan Edwards and Halesowen leisure centres.
- Can I just turn up?
- No - you have to pre-register online to be eligible for free swimming.
- How do I sign up?
- Register at www.freeswimindudley.co.uk. Once registration is complete, you will be sent a QR code. It will be scanned on entry to reception at the centres to allow free admission. Children under the age of 13 must be registered by their parents.
- I’ve previously registered. Do I need to register again?
- If you have previously registered and still have your QR code, just take the QR code to the leisure centre and show it to reception staff.
- What do I need to do if I have previously registered, but have lost my QR code?
- Just click on the ‘Resend Code’ link on the top of the website.
- How often can I go swimming for free?
- As often as you like during Dudley borough school holidays! Your free swim code can be used once a day, every day, during public swimming times.
- Are there any days that I can’t swim for free?
- Yes there are. You will have to pay the admission price to swim on school inset days, school training days, May Day (Wednesday 1 May 2024) and election days.
- Will I have to queue to get into the swimming pool?
- Yes, you may have to queue at the leisure centres. The centres may operate a queuing system which may result in queuing outside the building.
- What if I don’t have a printer? Can I just show the code on my phone?
- Yes, it will still be scannable on your phone.
- What about if I haven’t got a computer or access to the internet?
- If you are a library card holder, you can register at all Dudley borough libraries.
- What do I do if I lose my QR code? Will I have to register again?
- No, however there is a ‘Resend Code’ button on the website. It will ask for the registered email address and date of birth, and then re-send the email with the QR code on. The QR code has to be presented on each visit for free swimming to be allowed.
- Can I register all of my children for this scheme?
- Yes, as long as the children are up to and including the age of 16 and live in the Dudley borough.
- My child is eligible for free swimming, do they still need to register?
- I have more than one child registered, how will I know which code to use for which child?
- Every code that is sent out will have the name of the child printed underneath it.
- I have registered more than one child, but I have only received one QR code, is this correct?
- No, you need a QR code for each child. When you register you will be sent a separate ‘Activation’ email for each child. You then need to click on the link in each ‘Activation’ email to receive all the QR codes.
- I have registered more than one child, but I have only received one ‘Activation’ email.
- Some email clients group together emails from the same source. Please check to see if there is a number next to the ‘Activation’ email as this will indicate multiple emails for you to action.
- I can’t swim - can I use other facilities in the centre for free instead?
- Unfortunately not, the offer is just for free swimming.
- Who do I contact if I have any questions?
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When awaiting a response, please check your spam or junk folders to make sure it has not dropped into there by mistake.
- What are the school term dates for Dudley borough?
Term starts - Monday 8 January
Half term - Monday 12 to Friday 16 February
Term ends - Friday 22 March
Monday 1 January
Good Friday - Friday 29 March
Easter Monday - Monday 1 April
Term starts - Monday 8 April
Half term - Monday 27 May to Friday 31 May
Term ends - Monday 22 July
May Day (Wednesday 1 May) Free swimming is not available on this day. The relevant admission price must be paid
Early May Bank Holiday - Monday 6 May
Spring Bank Holiday - Monday 27 May
Term starts - Monday 2 September
Half term - Monday 28 October to Friday 1 November
Term ends - Friday 20 December